The Joy of Music School is a nonprofit organization that provides music lessons, instruments, and more to financially disadvantaged children and teens at no cost.
The Development Director reports to the executive director, and will be responsible for developing and implementing the development and marketing strategy for the organization. They will also perform finance and some accounting-related functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Lead and manage the School’s overall development efforts to raise funds supporting an annual revenue budget of approximately $600,000. This figure includes individual donations targets totaling $135k, plus $95k from special events. Grants from foundation and government sources targets total $250k. (Other revenues rounding out the total revenue budget are earned, such as rentals, and do not fall under the development director’s responsibilities.)
• Train, motivate, and lead other staff, board members, and board committees to support fundraising and marketing efforts.
• Develop and grow the School’s individual donor base by managing annual giving campaigns via mail, email, social media, website, text, and cultivating and stewarding major gifts in person, and by telephone.
• Develop and implement the School’s marketing and public relations strategy with the execution assistance of the School Administrator, and coordinate planning and execution with a board committee.
• Work with the executive director and the board chair of development to manage the annual board of directors’ fundraising solicitation.
• Create development and finance reports from donor software (Kindful) and finance software (QuickBooks) as requested by the executive director and in response to occasional needs of the bookkeeper.
• Coordinate with the bookkeeper activities related to the proper receipt, recording, and reporting of revenues and, to a lesser degree, expenses.
• Assist the executive director in creating the School’s annual budget, coordinating efforts with the bookkeeper, the finance committee, and the contracted accounting firm performing the annual audit.
• Oversee the execution of timely acknowledgement of donations by mail, with a staff member
• Be responsible for achieving the School’s fundraising goals, inclulding securing sponsors for events and related activities. This includes leveraging key relationships along with, and in support of, the executive director to ensure revenue goals are met.
• Lead special events in coordination with a contracted special events firm, and involve board events and development committees.
• Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential individual, corporate and foundation sponsors, for targeted needs, and/or special events in coordination with the executive director.
• Prospect grants and write grant proposals in coordination with the executive director.
• Create timely reports and other deliverables for corporate, foundation, and government funders.
• With the executive director, develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
• Develop and track proposals, reports, and deliverables for government, foundation, and corporate grants and sponsorships
• Bachelor’s Degree (required), Master’s Degree is preferred
• Three years of experience in a nonprofit development office
• Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
• Knowledge and facility with fundraising software databases
• Friendly, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of personal initiative.
We are an integrated and busy staff, so chemistry and attention to detail are keys to success! We look forward to hearing from you!
We are eager to find a person who will make a great fit with our nonprofit, charitable, educational, and artistic work.
Interested applicants: Please…
1. Send a resume attached to a cover email to email@example.com.
2. Demonstrate in composing your email that you understand what this organization does in the community. (Writing is important in this job)
3. If you do the above steps your email will be answered. Otherwise, you might not hear from us.